Category : Uncategorized
Haunts must apply for a permit before beginning construction. A fire inspector will visit the site as soon as it is ready to open (at least a week before opening). He or she will point out anything that needs to be added, changed or updated. Another inspection to check any changes will occur before the final permit is awarded allowing the haunt to open. Every inspector is different. Below are the most common conditions that an inspector will expect.
- 2A10 BC Fire extinguishers have been properly placed and serviced yearly.
- Egress lighting is in place and tested.
- Exits are clearly marked and accessible.
- Props, costumes and building materials are fire retardant. Be prepared for inspector to test materials.
- All area is clear of debris and trip hazards.
- Plugs are UL listed and have the proper cords and plug bars.
- The building has sprinkler system in place.
- The haunt has a safety and evacuation plan on site with scheduled drills.
- All sounds and effects can be turned off while house lights are turned on from one central location.
- There is a first aid kit on site.
Some areas also require haunts to be inspected by the local building department and/or be handicap accessible.
After final inspection, the inspector will determine occupancy rate and issue the final permit. The haunt must maintain this occupancy and conduct inspections to maintain the safety conditions.
Joining Hi Tech Haunts’ Safety Blueprint Program Community is a way to start building a safety plan. Hi Tech Haunts provides check lists and downloads that can be printed and circulated among staff as well as kept on site at a haunt.
Every haunt, home and/or commercial, should have a Fire Safety Plan on site and all crew/staff/volunteers should be trained and familiar with the safety plan. To join our professional community, click here or text HITECHHAUNTS to 44222. You can begin building your plan by receiving safety downloads, check lists, tips, discounts and freebies! Although Hi Tech Haunts is not responsible for the safety of your attraction, we can provide materials to make it easier for you to create a safety plan.
Stay tuned for the Safety Blueprint Program, a webinar series that covers the ins and outs of inspections and safety. Please contact us with questions and/or suggestions. Hi Tech Haunts is passionate about creating programs to support you, your work and your guests.
While Hi Tech Haunts is passionate about safety, we also like to have fun. Enjoy the video as Bones from MOTEL 6 Feet Under’s Haunted House gets loose in the Hi Tech Haunts work shop. Yikes.