TOP 5 REASONS TO HAVE A SAFETY PLAN
Category : Uncategorized
Are you a haunt owner? Do you have a haunt in your home? If you answered yes, do you have a safety plan in place? Why is this important? Here’s why:
5. The haunt industry is growing at a rapid rate. Haunts are popping up everywhere. Theme parks are adding Halloween Haunts to their seasonal operations. Escape rooms are appearing everywhere and running year long scares. The haunt industry is a $7 billion industry. Yes. 7 billion. And what is accompanying this growth? More people. More money. More frivolous lawsuits. Lawyers are actually taking out ads looking for people that have been injured in haunts. It isn’t a problem until it’s a problem. Then it’s a real problem.
4. If you run a home haunt, you don’t need to have a fire inspection because your haunt is on private property. While this might seem like a good thing, not being inspected could set you up for accidents. And it is likely that your haunt is not covered by your home owner’s insurance.
3. City officials do not want to be liable for accidents taking place at stand-alone haunts. They are cracking down on inspections. If you do not have a safety plan in place, you could be liable or shut down before you get to scare a single guest. Advertising that you have a safety plan in place is a good marketing tool as it informs the public that you have taken the time to insure their safety.
2. Protect yourself, your staff and your guests. Just like Hi Tech Haunts is not responsible for the safety of your haunt, you are not liable for guests that put themselves in danger by not following the rules, show up inebriated or behave badly around others. Having a safety plan in place not only helps protect you from being targeted, it also gives you a way to train your staff about what to do in an emergency. It will help you think through your volunteer practices and create a way to consistently run your attraction efficiently and professionally.
1. Peace of mind. If the unthinkable happens, having a safety plan in place will provide those involved with the peace of mind of knowing they did everything they could to prevent injury and/or disasters. While it might not seem important ahead of time, it could very well become the most important factor during an emergency situation.
Joining Hi Tech Haunts’ Safety Blueprint Program Community is a way to start building a safety plan. Hi Tech Haunts provides check lists and downloads that can be printed and circulated among staff as well as kept on site at a haunt.
Every haunt, home and/or commercial, should have a Fire Safety Plan on site and all crew/staff/volunteers should be trained and familiar with the safety plan. To join our professional community, click here or text HITECHHAUNTS to 44222. You can begin building your plan by receiving safety downloads, check lists, tips, discounts and freebies! Although Hi Tech Haunts is not responsible for the safety of your attraction, we can provide materials to make it easier for you to create a safety plan.
Stay tuned for the Safety Blueprint Program, a webinar series that covers the ins and outs of inspections and safety. Please contact us with questions and/or suggestions. Hi Tech Haunts is passionate about creating programs to support you, your work and your guests.
While Hi Tech Haunts is passionate about safety, we also like to have fun. Enjoy the video as Bones from MOTEL 6 Feet Under’s Haunted House is let loose in the shop. Yikes.